J-1 Exchange Visitor Programs are designed to promote cultural exchange and mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries through educational and cultural exchange. Each program has specific eligibility requirements, guidelines and restrictions; and all programs expect participants to return to their home country upon completion of their program to share their experiences with people in their home country.

(Courtesy of the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of International Information Programs)


What is Visa Sponsorship?

Before you can apply for a J-1 visa, a properly designated US organization must sponsor you. ACES is a US designated sponsor for both the Summer Work Travel and the Camp Counselor programs. As a sponsor, ACES, ensures your eligibility for participation in the program and reviews employment offers.   If approved, ACES then issues sponsorship papers necessary to apply for the J-1 Visa at the US Embassy. ACES will provide you with your forms DS 2019 as well as additional documents and detailed information needed to arrange your embassy interview and to prepare you for your experience.

Who is Eligible?

Summer Work Travel: For the purpose of participation in the Summer Work Travel program, participants must be, at the time of sponsorship application, enrolled full-time and pursuing studies at accredited post-secondary, classroom-based, academic institutions physically located outside of the United States and have successfully completed at least one semester, or equivalent, of post-secondary academic study. Participation dates vary by country location and official summer break period. Summer Work Travel Dates By Country (Jan 15,2015)

Camp Counselor: International students, coaches, teachers and other individuals with experience in working with youth who are over the age of 18 years and free of any criminal convictions are eligible to enter the US for the purpose of working at a US summer camp through participation in the Camp Counselor program.